Skip to main content

Dialogue Between Adam and the Tempting Serpent - (732)

Introduction to Excerpt

I found this precious passage from the book “Secret Teachings of All Ages” by Manly P. Hall.

It is a version of the dialogue that occurs between Adam and the tempting serpent of the tree of the science of good and evil. We know from Master Samael that that tree is sexuality.

Manly P. Hall says that it most likely comes from an ancient Egyptian ritual. It is here Adam after so much suffering, trials and tribulations tries to enter the Garden of Eden, from where he was banished, only to face the guardian of the tree of the science of good and evil which is the tempting serpent of Eden. They then have the following really precious dialogue.

It is quite a long excerpt, so to save time jump to the part highlighted in grey.

Excerpt

In this ritualistic drama--possibly derived from the Egyptians--Adam, banished from the Garden of Eden, represents man philosophically exiled from the sphere of Truth. Through ignorance man falls; through wisdom he redeems himself. The Garden of Eden represents the House of the Mysteries (see The Vision of Enoch) in the midst of which grew both the Tree of Life and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

Man, the banished Adam, seeks to pass from the outer court of the Sanctuary (the exterior universe) into the sanctum sanctorum, but before him rises a vast creature armed with a flashing sword that, moving slowly but continually, sweeps clear a wide circle, and through this "Ring Pass Not" the Adamic man cannot break.

The cherubim address the seeker thus: "Man, thou art dust and to dust thou shalt return. Thou wert fashioned by the Builder of Forms; thou belongest to the sphere of form, and the breath that was breathed into thy soul was the breath of form and like a flame it shall flicker out. More than thou art thou canst not be. Thou art a denizen of the outer world and it is forbidden thee to enter this inner place."

And the Adam replies: "Many times have I stood within this courtyard and begged admission to my Father's house and thou hast refused it me and sent me back to wander in darkness. True it is that I was fashioned out of the dirt and that my Maker could not confer upon me the boon of immortality. But no more shalt thou send me away; for, wandering in the darkness, I have discovered that the Almighty hath decreed my salvation because He hath sent out of the most hidden Mystery His Only Begotten who didst take upon Himself the world fashioned by the Demiurgus. Upon the elements of that world was He crucified and from Him hath poured forth the blood of my salvation. And God, entering into His creation, hath quickened it and established therein a road that leadeth to Himself. While my Maker could not give me immortality, immortality was inherent in the very dust of which I was composed, for before the world was fabricated and before the Demiurgus became the Regent of Nature the Eternal Life had impressed itself upon the face of Cosmos. This is its sign--the Cross. Do you now deny me entrance, I who have at last learned the mystery of myself?"

And the voice replies: "He who is aware, IS! Behold!"

Gazing about him, Adam finds himself in a radiant place, in the midst of which stands a tree with flashing jewels for fruit and entwined about its trunk a flaming, winged serpent crowned with a diadem of stars. It was the voice of the serpent that had spoken.

"Who art thou?" demands the Adam.

"I," the serpent answers, "am Satan who was stoned; I am the Adversary--the Lord who is against you, the one who pleads for your destruction before the Eternal Tribunal. I was your enemy upon the day that you were formed; I have led you into temptation; I have delivered you into the hands of evil; I have maligned you; I have striven ever to achieve your undoing. I am the guardian of the Tree of Knowledge and I have sworn that none whom I can lead astray shall partake of its fruits."

The Adam replies: "For uncounted ages have I been thy servant. In my ignorance I listened to thy words and thy led me into paths of sorrow. Thou hast placed in my mind dreams of power, and when I struggled to realize those dreams they brought me naught but pain. Thou hast sowed in me the seeds of desire, and when I lusted after the things of the flesh agony was my only recompense. Thou hast sent me false prophets and false reasoning, and when I strove to grasp the magnitude of Truth I found thy laws were false and only dismay rewarded my strivings. I am done with thee forever, O artful Spirit! I have tired of thy world of illusions. No longer will I labor in thy vineyards of iniquity. Get thee behind me, tempter, and the host of thy temptations. There is no happiness, no peace, no good, no future in the doctrines of selfishness, hate, and passion preached by thee. All these things do I cast aside. Renounced is thy rule forever!"

And the serpent makes answer: "Behold, O Adam, the nature of thy Adversary!" The serpent disappears in a blinding sunburst of radiance and in its place stands an angel resplendent in shining, golden garments with great scarlet wings that spread from one corner of the heavens to the other. Dismayed and awestruck, the Adam falls before the divine creature.

"I am the Lord who is against thee and thus accomplishes thy salvation, " continues the voice. "Thou hast hated me, but through the ages yet to be thou shalt bless me, for I have led thee our of the sphere of the Demiurgus; I have turned thee against the illusion of worldliness; I have weaned thee of desire; I have awakened in thy soul the immortality of which I myself partake. Follow me, O Adam, for I am the Way, the Life, and the Truth!"


Conclusion

The guardian of the tree of the science of good and evil turns out to be I think Christus Lucifer. That is Lucifer whose job it is or has been to take the soul through all these experiences so to be able to be free from all the desires and illusion in life and creation, with the purpose of taking us to the self-realisation.

We are that the Adam mentioned in the above excerpt.


End (732).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attention with Mind, Attention with Essence - (5197)

These two attentions are different. Attention with the mind tires the brain. and reduces the flow of life into steps, where it is inevitable that the narration of the mind begins to take over. With the awareness of steps comes a certain tediousness and the feeling of the flow of life leaving us behind. With the attention of mind very little of what's behind events comes to us... Attention with the essence brings the power of presence, in other words brings a certain depth and continuity of flow  Attention with the essence doesn't tire or strain and opens doorways into perceiving what is behind events and the thoughts and feelings that appear within us. It allows us also to flow with the flow of life, which is a pleasant feeling. Conclusion, make the essence bring attention to outer and inner life. End (5197).

The Sacred Substance Askokin - (962)

Introduction In simple terms, the sacred Askokin substance is the result of the mercury and the sulphur. It is the transmuted energy that crystallises to form the internal bodies (astral, mental and causal). In other words, it is the transmutation of our sexual energies. The Abrustdonis’ and ‘Helkdonis that Gurdjieff mentions in the excerpt below, taken from “Belzeebub’s Tales to His Grandson” are none other than the elements of mercury and the sulphur so spoken about in Alchemy. Excerpt on the Sacred Substance Askokin “I first learned that the destiny of beings arising on this planet of yours is chiefly to elaborate—by means of the process of their existence—the vibrations required by Nature for the maintenance of those former parts of the planet now called Moon and Anulios, when, do you remember, I became worthy personally to converse for the second time with His Conformity the then still Angel, but now Archan...

Wisdom from the Movie “Kingdom of Heaven” - (2168)

Introduction There are some movies that leave you with some pieces of advice that at point or another in your life or in the lives of others prove useful. This movie: “Kingdom of Heaven” was terrible to watch (too many battle scenes and people dying) but offered some very useful messages. In this post, I have presented a few, that have come in handy at point or another. Just to give you a bit of context, the movie is about the crusades, where the French and English were trying to defend the “Holy City” – Jerusalem from Islamic occupation. The topic of religion and God is a constant theme in the movie. It is very violent though, matching it frankly, quite awful to watch. Your Soul is in Your Keeping Alone An interesting dialogue between the French appointed king of Jerusalem and French Knight, the protagonist of the movie. Note, the king wears that metal mask because he has leprosy. King Baldwin I...